Sunday, June 8, 2008

New Salsa is built up and ready to go!

Finally the Salsa and all its bags from Jeff over at Carousel Design Works has been completely put together and put to an epic test. First off, this is definitely my lightest divide bike and divide setup. The bike is around 23 pounds (although I have no scale for an official weigh-in) and my gear doesn't add that much weight. Looks like I should be able to hit the 35 pound mark this year.

I took it riding over in Marin this afternoon after a morning full of gear-geeking. The frame bag Jeff made has stellar storage capabilities (the advantage of being tall and using an XL frame) and, to my surprise, handled the strong cross winds while biking over the Golden Gate Bridge extremely well. I was slightly nervous about running a frame bag because of some of the windy sections in the Basin and New Mexico, but this puts that fear to bed.




The handlebars are really crowded this year. The handlebar bag swings a little more than I'd want in this position, so I'm going to attempt to extend some of my cables again to get it in there properly against the headtube. Missing are my computer and a small emergency flasher...


Here the Salsa in its native habitat: